How the Earth Keeps our Skin Healthy
What does Earth Day and skin care have in common? Quite a bit actually. The Earth provides a number of ingredients that help us maintain healthy skin and inhibit the signs of aging.
What are these amazing ingredients you ask? Well this blog post would turn into an encyclopedia collection if I listed all of them. Instead I will provide a glance at some of the most interesting ingredients being used today and what they do for our skin.
- Bentonite Clay– derived from volcanic ash deposits in marine environments, this clay works to draw toxins out of the skin and absorb oils.
- Blue Agave– a succulent plant that delivers antimicrobial, antibacterial and antifungal properties to the skin, which makes it extremely useful in face cleansing formulas. It also softens and soothes skin that may have gotten too much sun.
- Chlorophyll– we all learned about chlorophyll in elementary school, but this ingredient which is found in all plants, algae and cyanobacteria, gives our skin antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial support to help combat acne and other impurities.
- Hematite– a mineral form of iron oxide typically found in massive deposits near standing water or mineral hot springs, as well as volcanic areas. It stimulates protein production to tone and strengthen the skin.
- Vitamins– there are a number of vitamins that greatly benefit our skin and we have the Earth to thank for those vitamins. To name a few, vitamin C scours for and destroys reactive oxidizing agents, vitamin E fights destructive free radicals, which have been linked to aging, and of course vitamin A and D also help maintain a youthful appearance.
- Zeolite– a natural mineral from volcanic ash that traps toxins and impurities. It also increases the skin’s immunity and stimulates blood circulation.
- Zinc Oxide (ZnO)– a natural mineral derived from the Earth’s crust, it acts as a protective and reflective shield for the skin against damaging UV rays. It’s also non-irritating and non-allergenic.
So be sure to celebrate the Earth this April 22 (and all year), it does after all provide us with some of the best ingredients to take care of our skin.
For more information about these ingredients and other Earth elements, visit the RA for Men's products page.