Skin Lessons from Queer Eye for Every Guy
The latest rage on Netflix is creating a buzz for good reason. The Fab 5 from the hit reboot Queer Eye aren’t only entertaining to watch, they mean business when it comes to sharing how men can look and feel their best.
If you have yet to catch the show, in each episode the Fab 5 team essentially takes a new subject under their wing to help them get their grooming, wardrobe, diet, and mindset back on the right track. By the end of the episode, these men make inspiring transformations ––many seem to regain a level of confidence they haven’t had in years.
Each of the members of the Fab 5 is an expert in a specific domain (grooming, wardrobe, diet, mindset). Given his focus on grooming, one of our favorites Jonathan Van Ness (JVN as those in the know call him). He’s got a magnetic personality that rivals his expert grooming insights.
So, if you haven’t spent a weekend binge watching Queer Eye yet, here is our Cliff Notes version of JVN’s top five tips for simple, effective skin care:
1. Yasss, sunscreen! We all know how damaging UV rays can be. Nothing will cause premature aging faster than excessive sun exposure. And beyond vanity, men are at greater risk of developing melanoma and not catching it in time. So if you follow no other tip, wear sunscreen! Choose a broad spectrum formula (meaning it blocks both UVA and UVB rays) with zinc oxide and be sure to use it daily. Apply sunscreen as part of your morning routine so your skin is always protected. No exceptions.
2. Be ready for anything. Clean skin is imperative to keeping your complexion clear. A good practice is planning ahead. Toss some portable cleansing pads into your gym bag or work tote so you can freshen up on the go. If you work up a sweat with a good workout or rushing to catch a cab on a hot summer day, you’ll be able to quickly swipe away dirt and oil before it can wreak havoc and cause blemishes.
3. Eyes are the prize. Eyes are the window to the soul…and they’re also the first thing to give away your age. Luckily, that’s where an effective eye wrinkle diminisher comes in. Pick one that targets collagen-producing cells and helps to stimulate the the skin’s natural regenerating abilities. You’ll get both the immediate benefits of plumping and ongoing prevention of wrinkles. Win, win.
4. Weekends are for masks. Sunday Funday is a great opportunity to treat yourself and take your skincare game up a level. For starters, choose a formula that combines bentonite and kaolin clay to draw out impurities and toxins, absorb excess oil, prevent pores from clogging, and provide healing and skin-strengthening support. Then sit back, relax and enjoy. Maybe use the time to catch up on your Netflix shows.
5. The best tip of all: Have fun! One of the things we appreciate most about JVN is his belief that grooming is not a chore to dread - it’s self care, and it’s time you deserve to invest in yourself to feel your best. Make an intention to set aside time to make your morning and evening routines about doing something that’s just for you. Looking good and feeling great are a blessings in life. Embrace them.